Director of Finance
Salary: $150,000.00 /year
Dear Future Teammate,
Thank you for considering joining our team.
Our company is unique in Edmonton: we compete in a large North American market against some of the world’s smartest tacticians. Our scope goes well beyond the borders of our city, our province, and even our country. Because of this, we have built a local eCommerce powerhouse, with a culture and depth of knowledge not available anywhere else in Edmonton.
We believe that working with high-performers is the best office perk; that practicing radical honesty within our team makes us exponentially better; that paying great salaries with excellent benefits gives us access to the best and the brightest; that giving freedom and responsibility brings out the best in people; and that being relentlessly customer-centric will drive phenomenal growth.
If you are an expert at your craft, have strong, fact-based opinions, and welcome the challenge of your life, then I personally invite you to join us.
Sam Prochazka, CEO of GoodMorning.com
Director of Finance
A fast-moving, systematic, detail-oriented leader responsible for designing, building, and operating our finance team. The Director of Finance supervises accounting staff, oversees internal controls, sets financial targets, implements fund-raising strategies, engages with investors, develops financial strategy, conducts feasibility studies, monitors expenditures and cash flow, oversees annual insurance, evaluates investments, and manages regulatory and tax filings/compliance.
In addition to duties in the finance team, the Director of Finance collaborates with stakeholders in the senior leadership team to develop and implement strategies, manage cash and debt, improve revenue, maintain a healthy financial position, and enhance investor and stakeholder confidence.
This position is full-time in Edmonton, AB, Canada. We welcome local applicants, as well as any Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or eligible international applicants willing to relocate.
- Leading, developing, organizing, and evaluating the operation of our finance team
- Analyzing financial performance and improving reporting systems to provide stakeholders throughout the company with accurate and timely financial context to help inform execution
- Creating/selecting, integrating, and improving useful processes and tools that support heroes and insurgency, while abandoning mind-numbing procedures that incent complacency, waste, and mediocrity
- Ensuring effective management and oversight of cash, debt, investments, income, and expenses
- Developing and implementing incentive strategies for company stakeholders to increase company performance
- Working with stakeholders to develop and analyze business cases and financial models
- Deriving insights from external trends and internal signals to identify, collect, and prioritize challenges and opportunities and, when applicable, ensuring these challenges and opportunities are communicated to the appropriate member(s) of the leadership team to be acted upon
- Managing acquisitions and investor relations
- Identifying risks and developing commensurate mitigation strategies
- Ensuring the relationship between general ledger costs and internal process is clear, and using this relationship to identify opportunities to improve efficiency
- Overseeing the preparation of filings, and ensuring regulatory compliance
- Guiding the day-to-day activities of the finance team to ensure continual improvement and ever-increasing efficiency in execution
- Developing a team that delivers industry-leading work product that consistently drives outsized results
- Engaging directly with customers, from time-to-time, to ensure that the front line is represented in all finance decisions
- Participating in top-level company planning
- Other duties that may reasonably be assigned
- Accounting designation (CA, CPA)
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, science, engineering, or other related field
- Highly proficient in accounting software
- Broadly knowledgeable in accounting principles
- Strong aptitude for math
- Knowledge of, and experience with, incentive strategies such as options and bonus programs
- Experience with raising capital, including through public offerings, an asset but not required
- Experience with acquisitions, an asset but not required
- 5+ years of experience in accounting, auditing, financial planning, and analysis
- 5+ years of leadership experience
- Great compensation
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and transportation benefits
- 125% RRSP Matching (up to $10,000/year)
- Travel subsidy
- Working with high-performing colleagues who will challenge you every day
- A free mattress of your choice within the GoodMorning.com range
- Bi-weekly company-funded lunches
- Fully stocked kitchen
- Whatever tools and equipment enable you to do the best work of your life
GoodMorning.com is Canada’s largest independent mattress retailer, and one of Western Canada’s largest eCommerce companies.
Since 2010 we have worked tirelessly to develop and sell only the best products in the world and to deliver them in a relentlessly customer-centric way. We do this by hiring only the best and the brightest, and by facilitating a workplace that values freedom, responsibility, honesty, and great compensation.
We believe that the best office perk is to work alongside only high-performers, and we challenge ourselves (and our colleagues) to hold strong, fact-based opinions, to question assumptions, to think deeply, and to improve “the truth.” If you are ready to be challenged and to challenge us with your expertise, then we want you on our team.
- You MUST include a cover letter and resume.
We thank all of those who apply, however only those applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted.